Friday, December 18, 2009
Friday, December 11, 2009
- up later than i should have been this morning (kristin and i were up at 2am after hearing a series of about 6 gunshots, which then meant, kristin, beulah and i hunkered down in my bed for the rest of the night..not exactly quality sleep, and i'm pretty sure i'm getting sick and probably snored..sorry k).
- stumbled out the door.
- babies up, dressed, fed, lunches made and packed, dropped at school.
- toys r us
- babies r us
- old navy
- harris teeter
- monogram shop
- pick kids up
- put them down for nap
- unpack the loaded car
- fold their laundry
- pack the car up for their overnight grandma stay
Swing open the curtain
And I find the courage to get up and walk
I forget my weakness
For You’ve answered my loneliness
And through the mud on my eyes
I can see my Hope has come
You’ll have to show me where to go
It’s been so long since I’ve used my feet
I got up today a cripple
And now I’m dancing
So let the power of You move
Not stop with what I can see."
Thursday, December 10, 2009
- listening to classic disney soundtracks while the twins play and i blog.
- my new roommate and precious apartment
- holiday crafts
- being able to shop for baby clothes for a family member
- putting some twinkle lights up in said precious apartment
- my super cheap brown target sweater (pic here)
- getting to spend all day saturday with laura troutman (pic here)
- concert/catching up with KCamp tonight
- opportunity to speak last week at CIU. really thankful to have the chance to speak my story out loud. it was both therapeutic and exciting. maybe i want to speak more often..? weird, huh? i'm not a speaker, but it was really fun.
- clark's antiques and sleepy poet flea market.
- two words: TRADER JOE'S
- this cute desktop background
- white hydrangeas
Friday, December 04, 2009
oh hey everyone. you little dearhearts, you.
Tuesday, December 01, 2009
Tuesday, November 24, 2009
Friday, November 20, 2009
right now, sara groves' new album is downloading on my computer. excited to listen to this as i catch you up on the last little stretch of life.
i worked about 17 hours yesterday, left work at midnight and was back at 7am, red-eyed with a red eye in my hand, oddly enough. thankfully, the babies have pre (pre pre) school today, and immediately after dropping them off i went and got a manicure and fell asleep while she was massaging my hands. i rationalized completely surrendering to it, and plopping my head on the arm rest directly in front of me. i didn't, but i should have.
then after that i may have surrendered to something different but equally recharging--shopping. got a few nice things for myself, and tried on those boots (jess, you know which ones i'm talking about), they're on a big sale right now. but THAT i could not rationalize:) shopping-yes, expensive boots kind of shopping-no. i'm no rockefeller.
also, i cut my hair the other day, that's all i am going to say. it's not good. but, i bought a cute hat yesterday, and have plenty of ponytail holders, so i'm set.
this next week is thanksgiving and i have mixed feelings about it. thanksgiving is my favorite holiday, but it's coming too quickly. i need time to prepare for the pleasures in life. you know? like the drive is almost always the best part of the trip (unless you have kids, i guess?). or like december 1-24 is so much better than december 25. i am actually just confused about where november went. the days probably just sunk right down into packing, cleaning, moving, nesting, working.
today, i go pick up rocco from al's house, and he will be staying with beulah and me this week. rocco is ally's dog, and beulah's best friend, so the two of them will definitely be keeping me busy. my mom is also coming up saturday night after dog work, which will be great. she hasn't seen the new place yet, and we'll take the dogs on a few walks and hopefully eat some good food, and she has never been to the uptown campus either, so i'll take her there as well.
then sunday night: quality time with my ladies while watching some vampires run around.
it will be a good weekend, i dare say.
i hope that this weekend before thanksgiving is restful for you all, and that your hearts are prepared for family and food, parades and pies, shopping and sleep.
i love you people, and i'm thankful i have the chance to.
[go buy sara groves' new album, you will not regret it. here's a taste]
Wednesday, November 11, 2009
*8 fl. oz. of water. Try distilled or filtered if your tap water isn't the best on hair.
*Sea salt. I used the more finely ground stuff because it mixes easier and faster with the water. It cost me $2.19 for a large canister of it. Use 1 tsp for each 8 fl oz of water.
*Coconut scented conditioner. It doesn't have to be expensive conditioner - I used Suave brand for $1 at the dollar store. I mostly added this for the "beachy" scent but it helps counteract the drying that the salt will do. I used 1/2 a tsp - use more if you have extra dry hair.
*A dab of hair gel. Unscented, preferably—otherwise it will interfere with the coconut scent of the conditioner). Usually the cheaper brand are more runny and mix better."
*Essential oils: If you have dry or coarse hair, this is a good add-in. They will help condition your hair and add some shine. Choose whatever scent you want - ylang ylang works great for sensitive skin and problem scalps. Rosemary is great to help deepen the color of brunette's hair and chamomile brightens blonds. Use 3-5 drops.
*Tea Tree Oil: Great for sensitive and oily scalps. If you have oilier hair, this is the best oil to add for you since it won't make your hair oilier or weigh it down. Use 3-5 drops.
*More sea salt - You can add a little more if you have oilier/thicker hair. The more salt you use, the more it will dry out your hair. BUT the more you use, the "beachier" your hair will look and the more hold there will be. If the recipe doesn't have enough salt for you, add 1/4 tsp at a time until you reach the desired level. Make sure to record your changes so you know how much to add when you want to make more!"
To do: Add all your ingredients to the spray bottle and shake it until it mixes together. Any oils added will never fully combine well with the water so you'll have to shake it a little before each use. If your hair gel and/or conditioner don't combine you can try warming the mixture in the microwave (remove any metal pieces and don't use until cool!) to see if that helps - if it doesn't, you may have used too thick of a conditioner/gel.
Monday, November 09, 2009
Thursday, November 05, 2009
Tuesday, November 03, 2009
Monday, November 02, 2009
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 2 onions, chopped
- 2 red bell peppers
- 4 cloves of garlic, pressed
- 2 lbs. ground turkey
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1/4 cup chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 (12 ounce) can lager beer (optional, can use broth as a replacement)
- 2 (19 ounce) cans kidney beans
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- salt and pepper to taste
Really good served with: Jiffy cornbread, sour cream, radishes, scallions, avocados, jalapenos, cilantro, cheddar, and toasted pumpkin seeds.
1. Heat oil in large pot, over medium-high heat.
2. Add onions, red pepper, garlic and cook for 6-8 minutes, until soft, stirring occasionally.
3. Add ground turkey and cook until no longer pink, about 5-7 minutes. Add tomato paste, chili powder, and cumin. Cook for a few minutes.
4. Add beer (or broth), beans, tomatoes (including their juices), salt and pepper.
5. Let simmer until nice and thick, about 25 minutes.
happy fall, everyone.
***aaaaand update! here's a little fall +playlist+to accompany your chili cookoff***
Thursday, October 29, 2009
Thursday, October 15, 2009
Sunday, October 11, 2009
i was thinking about my dad. and how almost every day he sends me a message that says, "love you sweetie". i am blessed and so fortunate to have the parents that i do.
and what i do isn't especially meaningful, but i find so much joy in life (my life!). three years ago that was not the case, three years ago, i didn't know where God had gone, and 2 and a half years ago, i stumbled upon him in the desert.
as i sit here drinking my hot coffee on an overcast sunday, it's hard to believe that God saw the possibility in renewing my heart. so he did.
on the most simple of days it hits me, i am joyful in this life, in this body, and in the Lord i serve.
and that is a great feeling.
Tuesday, October 06, 2009
Friday, October 02, 2009
- we're almost ready to *hopefully* sign a lease for a new place. i say 'we' because i've found two great gals who need a new place. location..perfection (for those of you familiar with charlotte, it's about two blocks away from the plaza, and directly behind the van landingham estate). it's a 4 bedroom, with a screened in porch (eeeeeee!), nice deck and almost 2 acre fenced in backyard (ahhhhh!!). it's on a quiet dead end street, and i love it and want to bake and have people over there all the time. if you'd be praying that all the kinks get worked out, and all the repairs get made in a timely manner, i would appreciate it! barring any complications, moving november 1st, baby.
- i bought a domain name for the business venture i mentioned, and maybe after this weekend's brainstorming/planning session, i'll give you some details, but i'm a little shy about it right now because it's early.
- my friend raechel introduced me to amelie's bakery this week, and i love LOVE it. it's open 24 hours a day (not that it really matters to me, i go to bed earlier than most grannies), but for those night owls out there, it's a great place to go get a salted caramel brownie at 2am, if you've got a hankering.
- baby hogan. maria has the first trimester pukes..jared and i made a late night trip to get some antinausea medicine and peppermint tea and gum. but really, does anything help with those dry heaves? let's be real..nothing really does, right? i love maria, and she's a champ. round of applause for all first trimester moms.
- tonight i get to hang out with some of my favorite people, the hubatkas, and my brother and sister. then having a slumber party with ally, rocco and beulah. fun times.
- also, when did grey's anatomy get SO good again?
Thursday, October 01, 2009
Tuesday, September 22, 2009
- aren't mental blogs, really just thinking?
- she hates blogs, but writes them anyway throughout her day..in her head.
- funny also, because she says that she will recite her mental blogs aloud to her husband at the end of the day, and that they're awesome.
- online dating--i have very specific and strong feelings about this.
- songs that encapsulate certain experiences in my life.
- time at remuda, why i don't talk about it much to people i meet now, and how i still have not even BEGUN to process some of the things that happened there.
- how to live a life where i'm broken-hearted over the sin and pride in my heart, but not living in the dirt wallowing about it either.
- oh, also the potential business i'm brainstorming with my friend (the mental blogger). this could be something. but i'm not going to jinx it. i'll fill you in when/if we get it going.
Wednesday, September 16, 2009
thinking about pretty get togethers during fall months.
this picture just makes me feel good.
hot tea is helping, since i still can't stomach coffee. yep, bad huh?
my sweet girl. has laid here with me for almost two weeks. won't get out of bed unless i do. little baby.
speaking of baby, i'm ready to see the twins:( i miss them so.
headed to the doctor tomorrow to see if i can be set free.
Thursday, September 10, 2009
we've been praying for two things specifically since saturday night.
1. that the rash would not spread to my face. if it gets near your eyes it can have permanent effects on your eyesight.
2. that i caught it early enough to prevent something called post herpetic neuralgia, meaning, if i had let this go unchecked and unmedicated, i could have this pain and burning in my right side permanently.
so far, both prayers are being answered. thank you if you have been praying, and if you haven't known what to pray for, now you do, so i will selfishly ask for more prayers to get through the next 10 or so days with the hope of bypassing either of those complications.
also, you may have surmised that i am definetly out of work until monday, september 21.
this is hard.
my mom has been here until today, and they will return this weekend. she has done everything for me. because a lot of the symptoms of this seem similar to mono (i've never had mono) from what i've heard: basically fatigue and flu like symptoms, with the weirdo nerve issues, which feel something like a mix between a horrible sun burn and being pricked by needles all over my right side (and itching). weird, huh?
the good thing is, i actually feel the best i've felt tonight!! light at the end of the tunnel.
i have made my way through several books and several thousand movies (or so it seems). currently watching Twister. i just can't help myself. I love that movie.
so there's my update. it feels lonely around here. and i have a while to go. but i have faith that there is purpose to this time. when i find out, maybe i'll fill you in.
love to you all, and if you have book or movie suggestions HIT ME WITH 'EM.
Sunday, September 06, 2009
Let me know if this worked:).
This week has been something else.
Let's begin. I guess it was around Monday that I first started feeling funny, but I thought I had bruised my arm or maybe got a little sun that day, and didn't think much more about it. That night I went and got supplies for our Book Club Girls Night and did some baking.
The next day, I felt like someone had taken a baseball bat to my neck and back. Weird, but can be ignored. We had a great night together with our new 'club'.
Wednesday, only the greatest day of my life. We found out Jared and Maria will be welcoming their first babe in the Spring of 2010. This actually still doesn't seem real. Too good. Last year I remember thinking clearly about what I thought their little girl would look like, now I will have to do some brainstorming on what I think a boy could or would look like.
I was a tiny bit out of it the night they told me, but we went to Target and got 'Your Pregnancy Week By Week', (a classic). And obviously Auntie Beulah needed a lobster costume for Halloween, and for celebratory purposes for Baby Hogan.
Thursday, still high on the pregnancy news, I kept trying to ignore how crappy I was feeling, and I couldn't think about much else besides wanting my parents to know they were going to be grandparents. (they all found out on Friday).
Started asking around to see what this pain could be from. Some people said pinched nerve? Had I lifted something heavy? (almost 50 lbs of twins up and down three flights of stairs 16 times a day..), so it shouldn't just now be getting to me. I was confused, and felt really tired all day, but again, like a smart one, did my best to ignore, until Friday.
I woke up and noticed a mark on my right arm. First thought: spider bite. Second thought: I am being slowly paralyzed by spider venom.
Later that morning, I noticed a rash forming right above the 'bite', and sort of thought, 'Enough, what is going on?'. I called nanny Mom and said,
"I'm pretty sure I have been bitten by a spider, is there any way someone can come sit with the twins while they nap so I can go get it looked at?"
After talking with her, she told me about having a spiderbite in college, and it didn't sound anything like that. Also, after talking to Jessi, I felt the same way. Didn't sound like I had a bite from their description.
Decided to hold off on Urgent Care.
I had two dogs to dogsit that night, so I just put this whole thing on the back burner.
Then my whole right leg started hurting. So, let's recap, whole right side feels like it's burning from the inside, with stabbing pain in my neck, back, and arm. What?
This is all relative obviously, but I feel like I have a pretty high threshhold for pain. This had been a gradual build up, but by Friday night it was screwing with me.
This is getting way long, can you stick with me?
Saturday morning, my plan was to go in to the doctor before doggie daycare work. But, I was too scared. My thought process was, right side=neurological, neurological=scary cancer or something. Ignored.
Went and did a six hour shift at doggie work, and threw the freaking tennis ball with my right arm all day (I guess to prove that I was fine..to myself? The dogs, not sure, but stupid). At this point I was still saying, I thought I'd been bitten, but feared I had a tumor. There's a girl training to be an EMT that works with me and she said it was definetly a spider bite and it looked like the venom had traveled up my vein causing the rash. Great.
After calls and texts from friends and family telling me I HAD to go get it checked out, I finally went.
Within 30 seconds of the doctor seeing my arm she said, "you have shingles". To which I replied,
Hadn't I heard of old ladies having that at church growing up? As in, please pray for my homebound Aunt Beatrice who has 'the shingles'.
Confused, I asked questions and she told me that after you have chicken pox, the virus lies dormant in your spine, and can reappear as shingles (in about 20% of people who've had chicken pox). The chances of someone under 50 years of age is very rare.
To be honest, I was relieved. Yes, I was and am in some pain, I was just glad I didn't have a tumor or venom spreading through my body. I can deal with a shingle or two.
Here's the big issue: can't be around pregnant women. And I don't know how nanny Mom will want to handle this. She hasn't called me back yet. So it's possible I won't be able to work for two weeks, and it's definite that I won't be able to see Jared and Maria and Baby BB Pellet (his or her size right now) for TWO WEEKS.
So that's my week last week. And now I'm quarantined. But, it's okay. I'm not sick forever. Just for a little while. I'll do lots of reading, and pill taking (I have to take them every five hours, weird, huh?).
Okay, my sweet Mom is on her way to take care of me. Just one of the perks of living close to them.
Must go, didn't sleep much last night. Okay bye.